Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1785 - 1805
Terraced three-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1795. Now in use as guest house. Replacement hipped slate roof with red brick parapet wall with granite coping. Flemish bond red brick walls, rebuilt above second floor sill level. Chamfered granite plinth over ruled-and-lined rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with gauged red brick voussoirs, some replaced, having rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Round-headed door opening with gauged red brick voussoirs and rendered reveals, having timber doorcase comprising engaged fluted pilasters with scrollwork and beaded brackets flanked by fixed single-pane sidelights and panelled pilasters surmounted by unadorned lintel and plain fanlight. Moulded masonry base to doorcase with replacement glazed timber door opening onto tiled platform with rendered granite step to street with granite kerbing. Granite plinth enclosing basement area with original wrought-iron railings, having braced mid-span and wrought-iron gate to side of platform giving access to basement area via recent metal stair with attached lamp brackets.
Located within a pleasant Georgian streetscape, this well-maintained townhouse has maintained much of its historic aspect. Its elegant proportions are complimented by finely arranged fenestration with granite sills and voussoirs and a timber doorcase of good quality further enhancing a classically arranged façade. The retention of the iron railinsg and stone plinth to the basement area contributes to the intactness of the Georgian streetscape.