Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1795, with full-height rear extension. Now in multiple occupancy. Double-pile slate roof, pitched to front, hipped to rear behind parapet wall with granite coping. Stepped brick chimneystacks with terracotta pots to north party wall. Painted rendered walls set on painted granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Square-headed window openings with painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows, ground floor window enlarged. Round-headed door opening with replacement timber door and doorcase having coved archivolt moulding and plain fanlight. Door opens onto limestone paved platform and single granite step to street. Platform and basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railings on painted granite plinth wall with concrete piers and steel gate giving access to basement.
This Georgian townhouse stands in a terrace on the east side of Buckingham Street Lower. Although much altered it nonetheless retains the form and general character of the original, and the retention of the stone flags to the entrance and of the iron railings and granite plinth to the front boundary adds to the relative intactness of the Georgian streetscape.