Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use


Historical Use

Public house

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1780 - 1810


316520, 235417

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited end-of-terrace two-bay four-storey house over partially exposed basement, built c.1795, with four-bay west side elevation and pub shopfront inserted to ground floor. Possibly two former townhouses. Hipped slate roof with black clay ridge tiles behind parapet wall with granite coping. Yellow brick chimneystacks with clay pots and further rebuilt brick stack rising from south party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to top floor. Painted rusticated rendered walls to ground floor with full-span deep moulded dentillated cornice and rendered plinth course. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Multiple-pane hardwood windows to pub shopfront. Elliptical-headed door opening to west elevation with painted masonry doorcase, having replacement metal door flanked by slender pilasters and foliate console brackets supporting fluted lintel cornice and replacement fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and three granite steps bridging basement area. Platform and basement to west elevation enclosed by iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on painted granite plinth wall. Basement paved over to north elevation with steel roller shutter to square-headed door opening.


This prominently sited corner building may have been built as two townhouses. The mid-twentieth-century pub shopfront spans both elevations and retains a decorative dentillated cornice. The doorcase and front railings have been retained, enhancing the visual and architectural heritage qualities of the building. The site neatly turns the corner from Summerhill to Buckingham Street Upper, adding to the variety and interest of this varied streetscape.