Survey Data

Reg No

50011117


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

316474, 235544


Date Recorded

29/09/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1840, on triangular site as one of five similar houses with front railed garden. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile slate roof behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping and rendered chimneystacks with clay pots to either end. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Cement rendered east gable and rear elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with flush rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with replacement timber doorcase and replacement hardwood door. Door opens onto concrete platform and six concrete steps enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and bridging basement area. Front garden paved over and enclosed by replacement steel railing on granite plinth wall and two granite steps opening onto street.

Appraisal

This group of five houses date from the early Victorian period employs a largely Georgian style. Built on a wedge-shaped site, this house remains as a curious part of the overall terrace, while contributing to the consistent appearance of this stretch of the North Circular Road. The retention of the stone boundary plinth, steps and railings and gate enhances the setting. The North Circular Road was laid out in 1763, and gradually developed over the next one hundred years. An Act of that year called for the making of more convenient approaches to the city. It became a fashionable carriage promenade in the 1780s.