Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay two-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1840, as one of five similar houses with front railed garden. M-profile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall and rendered chimneystacks with clay pots to both party walls. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond, original lime pointing to ground floor, cement pointed to first floor. Painted granite plinth course over ruled-and-lined rendered walls to basement. Smooth cement rendered walls to rear elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with flush rendered reveals, painted granite sills and original six-over-six pane timber sliding sash window to ground floor, timber three-over-three-over-three pane to basement and one-over-one pane to rear, and replacement uPVC elsewhere. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with moulded surround and original timber doorcase. Original timber door with two vertical flat panels, flanked by panelled pilasters and scrolled console brackets to panelled lintel cornice and original cobweb fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and six granite steps enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and bridging basement area. Front garden enclosed by original cast-iron railing on granite plinth wall with replacement iron gate and two granite steps opening onto street.
The North Circular Road was laid out in 1763, and gradually developed over the next one hundred years. An Act of that year called for the making of more convenient approaches to the city. It was partly financed by toll gates located at the Park, Aughrim Street, Phibsborough and Dorset Street. It became a fashionable carriage promenade in the 1780s. This group of five houses date from the early Victorian period and used a largely Georgian style of building. Retaining some original fabric including an original doorcase, and the steps, railings and garden, this house presents a pleasant elevation to the street and considerably enhances the appearance of the streetscape.