Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay two-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1840, as one of five similar houses with front railed garden. M-profile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall and rendered chimneystacks with clay pots to both party walls. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Yellow brick walls to rear elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and original six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows with early glass, original eight-over-eight pane window to basement. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with moulded surround and original timber doorcase. Original timber door with two vertical flat panels, flanked by panelled pilasters and scrolled console brackets supporting panelled lintel cornice and original cobweb fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and six granite steps enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and bridging basement area. Front garden enclosed by original cast-iron railing on granite plinth wall with matching gate and two granite steps to street. Battened timber door below platform at basement level.
The North Circular Road was laid out in 1763, and gradually developed over the next one hundred years. An Act of that year called for the making of more convenient approaches to the city. It was partly financed by toll gates located at the Park, Aughrim Street, Phibsborough and Dorset Street. It became a fashionable carriage promenade in the 1780s. This group of five houses date from the early Victorian period employing a largely Georgian style. This house retaining its original doorcase and door, its steps, railings and garden. The retention of timber sash windows, some original, enhances the architectural heritage character of the house and the whole contributes to an intact appearance, playing a strong role in the terrace and makes a positive contribution to the overall streetscape.