Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay two-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1840, as one of five similar houses with front railed garden. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to east end. Rendered chimneystacks with clay pots to east party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Rear elevation walls rebuilt in machine-made red brick laid in English garden wall bond. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows, with replacement uPVC windows to basement. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with moulded surround and original timber doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by panelled pilasters and scrolled console brackets supporting panelled lintel cornice and original cobweb fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform and six concrete steps enclosed by original wrought-iron railing bridging basement area. Front garden enclosed by original cast-iron railing on granite plinth wall with matching gate and two granite steps to street.
The North Circular Road was laid out in 1763, and gradually developed over the next one hundred years. An Act of that year called for the making of more convenient approaches to the city. It was partly financed by toll gates located at the Park, Aughrim Street, Phibsborough and Dorset Street. It became a fashionable carriage promenade in the 1780s. Refurbished using sympathetic materials and retaining its original doorcase and fanlight, and its steps, railings and garden, this house presents a pleasant elevation to the street and considerably enhances the appearance of the streetscape.