Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced three-bay two-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830, with front railed garden. Now in multiple occupancy. Pitched slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and single visible chimneystack to rear with clay pots. Replacement metal hopper and downpipe breaking through parapet to west end. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows, replacement uPVC to basement. Central gauged brick round-headed door opening with original timber doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by panelled pilasters and scrolled console brackets supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform and seven concrete steps enclosed by original wrought-iron railings, bridging basement area. Front garden enclosed by replacement iron railing on granite plinth wall and iron pedestrian gate with curved steps to street.
The North Circular Road was laid out in 1763, and gradually developed over the next one hundred years. An Act of that year called for the making of more convenient approaches to the city. It was partly financed by toll gates located at the Park, Aughrim Street, Phibsborough and Dorset Street. It became a fashionable carriage promenade in the 1780s. Although built in the nineteenth century, this double-fronted house sits in between two uniform terraces of two-bay houses. The building retains its fine doorcase and steps, railings and garden. The timber sash windows contribute to the strong impression of intactness, and the overall composition and Georgian style detailing remains intact and adds to the appeal of the overall terrace and the wider streetscape.