Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830, as one of four similar houses with front railed garden. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and shouldered rendered chimneystacks with clay pots to east gable rising above adjoining houses. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with original timber doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by panelled pilasters and scrolled console brackets to panelled lintel cornice and timber spoked fanlight. Door opens onto shared granite platform and six granite steps enclosed by original wrought-iron railing bridging the basement area and further shared paved area open to street. Front garden enclosed by original cast-iron railing on granite plinth wall with matching gate.
The North Circular Road was laid out in 1763, and gradually developed over the next one hundred years. An Act of that year called for the making of more convenient approaches to the city. It was partly financed by toll gates located at the Park, Aughrim Street, Phibsborough and Dorset Street. It became a fashionable carriage promenade in the 1780s. Although built in the nineteenth century, this group of four houses are some of the earliest to be built and adopted a largely Georgian architectural language. The building retains a good doorcase and original railings and makes a marked contribution to the historic appeal of the terrace and the wider streetscape.