Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830, as one of four similar houses with front railed garden. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and stepped rendered chimneystack with clay pots to east party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with painted reveals, painted granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns to upper floors, replacement timber casement windows to ground floor and basement. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with original timber doorcase. Original flat-panelled timber door flanked by panelled pilasters and scrolled console brackets to panelled lintel cornice and timber spoked fanlight. Door opens onto shared granite platform and five granite steps enclosed by original wrought-iron railing bridging basement area with further paved area open to street. Front garden enclosed by original cast-iron railing on granite plinth wall.
The North Circular Road was laid out in 1763, and gradually developed over the next one hundred years. An Act of that year called for the making of more convenient approaches to the city. It was partly financed by toll gates located at the Park, Aughrim Street, Phibsborough and Dorset Street. It became a fashionable carriage promenade in the 1780s. Although built in the nineteenth century, this group of four houses are some of the earliest to be built and adopted a largely Georgian architectural language. This house presents a relatively intact elevation to the street, with an intact doorcase, steps and railings, and retains some timber sash windows. It contributes to the appeal of the terrace and general streetscape.