Categories of Special Interest
1820 - 1840
Terraced three-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now derelict. Single-span roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping and plastic rainwater goods breaking through to west end. Chimneystacks to both party walls, rendered to west, brick to east. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to top floor. Painted granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills, patent rendered reveals and boarded-up windows. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Possibly original timber panelled door, now boarded over, flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and original petal fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and five granite steps bridging basement area, enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts. Basement area also enclosed by original wrought-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall. Brick infill wall to platform at basement level.
This house forms part of a continuous terrace of fourteen houses. No. 32 is of single-pile plan with an additional bay to compensate for the lost internal space. Now in a derelict condition, this symmetrical house nonetheless retains its original doorcase, ironmongery and general composition fitting into the typology of the remainder of the terrace but greatly detracts from the impression of the streetscape in its current condition. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.