Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks to east party wall with terracotta pots. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills, patent rendered reveals and replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows, and eight-over-eight pane to basement. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Flat panelled timber door with bolection mouldings flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and original petal fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper and four granite steps bridging basement area. Platform and basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts, those to street set on moulded granite plinth wall with matching gate and steel steps giving access to basement.
This house forms part of a continuous terrace of fourteen houses of similar scale lining the south side of Charles Street Great. It has an intact appearance, with its original doorcase and petal fanlight, its steps and railings, and teh retention of timber sash windows. The building forms a component part of the overall terrace with its stepped parapets accommodating the gentle gradient of the street. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.