Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks to east party wall with terracotta pots. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to second floor in machine-made red brick. Granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement level. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills, flush rendered reveals and replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows, possibly original eight-over-eight sash window to basement level with iron grille. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Flat panelled timber door with bolection mouldings flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks supporting panelled lintel cornice and original petal fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform with concrete screed and five granite steps bridging basement area. Platform and basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts, those to street set on moulded granite plinth wall.
This house forms part of a continuous terrace of fourteen houses of similar scale lining the south side of Charles Street Great. This example retains a good Ionic doorcase with petal fanlight, and its steps and railings. The retention of timber sash windows, that to the basement possibly original, enhances the architectural heritage character of the building. Its overall composition making a marked contribution to the orderly stepped terrace as it accommodates the gradient of the street. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.