Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping and cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to west end. Replacement rendered chimneystack to west party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to second floor in machine-made red brick. Painted granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement level. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills, rendered reveals and replacement uPVC windows. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Flat panelled timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and replacement fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and five granite steps bridging basement area. Platform and basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts, those to street set on painted moulded granite plinth wall.
This house forms part of a continuous terrace of fourteen houses of similar scale lining the south side of Charles Street Great. No. 28 has retained its fine Ionic doorcase, steps and railings. Its overall composition contributes to the gentle rhythm of the terrace as its stepped heights accommodate the gradient of the street. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.