Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping and with red brick course below. Replacement rendered chimneystack to east party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond with lime pointing, set on painted granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement level. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills, flush rendered reveals and replacement hardwood six-over-six pane sliding sash windows. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Flat panelled timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and replacement fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper and five granite steps bridging basement area. Platform and basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts, those to street set on painted moulded granite plinth wall.
This house was built as one of a continuous terrace of fourteen houses of similar scale lining the south side of Charles Street Great. This house retains its Ionic doorcase and steps and railings, and also has timber sash windows, contributing to the relatively intact appearance of the streetscape. The red brick eaves course is unusual feature and adds visual interest. Its proportions and façade composition form part of the rhythmic stepped streetscape as it follows the gradient of the street to the east. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.