Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to west party wall with clay pots. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to part of top floor, set on granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement level. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills, flush rendered reveals and replacement uPVC windows. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and replacement fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform with six granite steps bridging basement area. Platform and basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts, those to street set on moulded granite plinth wall.
This house was built as one of a continuous terrace of fourteen houses of similar scale lining the south side of Charles Street Great. No. 26 retains its Ionic doorcase, ornate balconettes and the steps and railings to the street. Its proportions and façade composition while forming part of the rhythmic stepped streetscape as it follows the gradient of the street to the east. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.