Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite. Brick chimneystack to east party wall with clay pots. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over ruled-and-lined rendered walls to basement level. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills, patent rendered reveals and replacement timber windows. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks supporting panelled lintel cornice and replacement fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform with five granite steps bridging basement area. Platform and basement area enclosed by replacement steel railings and set on moulded granite plinth wall to street.
This house was built as one of a continuous terrace of fourteen houses of similar scale lining the south side of Charles Street Great. It retains its Ionic doorcase and fanlight and the railings and steps to the street. Its proportions and façade form part of the rhythmic stepped streetscape as it follows the gradient of the street. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.