Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to east end. Rendered chimneystack to west party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over ruled-and-lined rendered walls to basement level. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills, patent rendered reveals and replacement timber windows. Decorative cast-iron balconette to first floor west bay. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks supporting panelled lintel cornice and replacement fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform with six granite steps bridging basement area. Platform and basement area enclosed by replacement steel railings and set on moulded granite plinth wall to street.
This house was built as one of a continuous terrace of fourteen houses of similar scale lining the south side of Charles Street Great. This house retains its Ionic doorcase, steps and railings and a decorative balconette and plays its part in the overall terrace where each house is stepped to accommodate the gradient of the street, resulting in a rhythmic and orderly late Georgian streetscape. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.