Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Chimneystacks to both party walls, brick to west, rendered to east. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement level. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills, patent rendered reveals and replacement timber windows. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor, damaged to eastern bay. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and replacement fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform with five granite steps bridging basement area. Platform and basement area enclosed by replacement railings, original wrought-iron railing to west and set on moulded granite plinth wall to street.
This house was built as one of a continuous terrace of fourteen houses of similar scale lining the south side of Charles Street Great. This house plays its part in the overall terrace where each house is stepped to accommodate the gradient of the street, resulting in a rhythmic and orderly late Georgian streetscape. the building retains its Ionic doorcase, steps and railings. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.