Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile roof hipped to west, hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to east party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement level. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills, patent rendered reveals and replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows, bipartite to basement. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Flat panelled timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform with remnants of iron bootscrapers and five nosed granite steps bridging basement. Platform and basement area enclosed by cast-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts, set on moulded granite plinth wall to street.
This house was built as one of a continuous terrace of fourteen houses of similar scale lining the south side of Charles Street Great. Retaining its original doorcase and steps and railings, and having timber sash windows No. 22 contributes to the intact impression of the streetscape. It also shares many details with the remainder of the terrace. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.