Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Built as pair with No. 20 and now in multiple occupancy. M-profile roof hipped to east, hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Stepped brick chimneystacks to west party wall with clay pots. Red washed brick walls laid in Flemish bond with lime pointing, set on painted granite plinth course over ruled-and-lined rendered walls to basement level. Plaque to wall states: 'George Petrie antiquarian, painter collector of Irish folk music lived here 1835-1850'. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with painted granite sills, patent rendered reveals and replacement uPVC windows. Tripartite six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to ground floor and basement, with colonettes to former and moulded renders surround and iron grille to latter. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Original timber door with eleven raised-and-fielded panels flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and five granite steps bridging basement. Platform and basement area enclosed by cast-iron railings, set on granite plinth wall to street.
This house was built as one of a pair with No. 20 on a continuous terrace of fourteen houses of similar scale. Retaining its original doorcase, some timber sash windows and steps and railings, the house presents an attractive elevation to the street and together with its association with the antiquarian George Petrie, is of historic importance. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.