Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in use as offices. Double-pile slate roof, hipped to south, set behind parapet wall with granite coping with cast-iron gutter to south gable returning to front elevation feeding cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Yellow brick chimneystacks with clay pots to north party wall. Tinted brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course above rendered basement walls. Smooth rendered walls to south gable. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, with patent rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement timber windows. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded render surround and painted masonry Doric doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Doric columns on plinth bases supporting fluted lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto terracotta tiled platform and two granite steps bridging the basement. Platform and basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts, set on moulded granite plinth wall to street. Two granite flagstones to pavement with cast-iron coal hole covers.
No. 625 terminates a terrace of seven modest townhouses and forms part of a greater terrace built at an angle reflecting the curve on North Circular Road. The house retains its Doric doorcase and the railings and plinth to the street edge most original external fabric adding to the integrity of the terrace and the streetscape as it meets Summerhill.