Survey Data

Reg No

50011091


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1820 - 1840


Coordinates

316577, 235532


Date Recorded

25/09/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830, as one of pair. Now in office use. Double-pile slate roof, behind parapet wall with granite coping. Shared brick chimneystacks to north party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Doric doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Doric columns on plinth bases supporting fluted lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform and two granite steps bridging basement. Platform and basement enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts set on granite plinth wall to street.

Appraisal

This house forms part of a terrace of seven modest former townhouses abutting a further terrace of five slightly taller houses and built at an angle reflecting the curve of North Circular Road. This example retains its fenestration pattern, Doric doorcase and original front railings, adding to the overall appeal of this late Georgian terrace and the wider streetscape.