Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830, as one of pair. Now in office use. Double-pile slate roof, hipped to north, behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Shared brick chimneystacks to south party wall. Painted brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with original panelled shutters visible. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Doric doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Doric columns on plinth bases supporting fluted lintel cornice and original spoked timber fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform with partial cast-iron bootscraper and single step bridging basement. Platform and basement enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts set on granite plinth wall to street. Replacement steel railing divides shared platform to north.
This house forms part of a terrace of seven modest former townhouses abutting a further terrace of five slightly taller houses and built at an angle reflecting the curve of North Circular Road. This example retains its fenestration pattern with timber sash windows, Doric doorcase and original front railings, representing one of the more intact houses in this group and adding to the general composition of this attractive terrace of late Georgian townhouses.