Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830, as one of pair. Now in use as apartments. Double-pile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and replacement aluminium rainwater goods breaking through to south. Rendered chimneystacks to south party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement timber windows. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Doric doorcase. Replacement hardwood panelled door flanked by engaged Doric columns on plinth bases supporting fluted lintel cornice and original spoked timber fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform and single step bridging basement, enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and single cast-iron corner post. Basement area also enclosed by original wrought-iron railing on granite plinth wall.
This house forms part of a terrace of seven modest former townhouses abutting a further terrace of five slightly taller houses and built at an angle reflecting the curve of North Circular Road. This example has retained its fenestration pattern, Doric doorcase and original front railings, adding to the general composition of this attractive terrace of late Georgian townhouses.