Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830, as one of pair. Now in use as offices. Double-pile slate roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping and rebuilt brick chimneystacks to south party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond to painted granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with rendered surround and original painted masonry Doric doorcase. Replacement hardwood panelled door flanked by engaged Doric columns on plinth bases supporting fluted lintel cornice and spoked timber fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform and single step bridging basement. Platform enclosed by original wrought-iron railing and cast-iron corner posts. Basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railing on granite plinth wall. Granite flagstone to pavement with cast-iron coal-hole cover.
This house forms part of a terrace of seven modest former townhouses abutting a further terrace of five slightly taller houses, built at an angle reflecting the curve of North Circular Road. This example retains its fenestration pattern, Doric doorcase and original front railings, adding to the general composition of this attractive terrace of late Georgian townhouses.