Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830, as one of pair. Now in multiple occupancy. Double-pile slate roof concealed behind parapet wall with granite coping and pair of shouldered rendered chimneystacks to north gable, having clay pots. Cast-iron downpipe shared with adjoining house to south. Unpainted cement render walls with painted smooth render dressings and basement walls below granite plinth course. Square-headed window openings with painted smooth render surrounds, painted concrete sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening with moulded render surround and Ionic painted masonry doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting fluted lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform, bridging basement and two granite steps. Platform and basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts, that to basement set on moulded granite plinth wall returning to west gable. Gabled west elevation has pairs of window openings to each level, inserted c.1950, with replacement uPVC windows. West gable enclosed to Richmond Street North by tall rendered wall. Utilitarian single-storey rendered structure to rear site opening onto Richmond Street North.
This house is part of a terrace of five similarly scaled, modest townhouses abutting a further terrace of seven houses built at an angle following the curve of North Circular Road. This house retains its fenestration pattern, Ionic doorcase and original front railings, adding to the overall composition of this attractive terrace of late Georgian townhouses.