Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1850 - 1860
Attached three-bay two-storey rendered novitiate chapel, built c.1854-6, with single-bay pedimented façade to front (south) elevation. Forming west termination of former monastery building, built c.1830. Continued to rear by three-storey multiple-bay former novitiate, built c.1855, further extended in 1959, now forming part of secondary school. Hipped artificial slate roof with profiled cast-iron gutters on ashlar limestone eaves course. Copper-roofed square-plan campanile, installed c.1915, with round-headed arcaded openings, rising from rear. Rendered walls throughout with rendered plinth course. South elevation comprising pediment with cross finial supported by paired Doric engaged pilasters flanking round-headed statuary niche, springing from continuous stepped impost course. Round-headed window openings with rendered sills to first floor having eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows with spoked fanlights. Moulded render surrounds to east elevation openings. Square-headed window openings to ground floor with rendered sills, replacement windows and steel security grilles. Building located within walled grounds including former monastery and school buildings. Grounds bounded by rendered wall having entrance gates at North Richmond Street. Rear of site overlooks Croke Park stadium.
O'Connell Schools was founded in North Richmond Street by Edmund Rice and completed to the designs of architect James Bolger in 1831. The chapel was added c.1855, the first Christian Brothers' Novitiate Chapel in the Congregation. It is of a restrained Italianate composition, with its rather severe rendered façade belying an exuberant interior. The later copper-roofed campanile echoes the Italian theme and contributes to the interest and variety of the roofscape. Artistic significance is provided by the stained glass by Casey Brothers.