Survey Data

Reg No

50011073


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


Date

1790 - 1810


Coordinates

316323, 235635


Date Recorded

18/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1800, having three-bay ground floor and two-bay upper floors, part of terrace of ten similar houses. M-profile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and dormer to rear pitch. Lead box hopper and downpipe with lead brackets breaking through parapet to east end. Yellow brick and rendered chimneystacks to both party walls with clay pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered basement wall. Tinted red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond to rear elevation with two cantilevered corrugated-iron projections. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Round-headed stairs windows to rear, one having timber sash window and both having plain fanlights. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with moulded surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement hardwood panelled door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on replacement plinth blocks supporting fluted lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform and concrete step, bridging basement, enclosed by wrought-iron railing and cast-iron corner posts. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railing on granite plinth wall and steel gate giving access via steel steps. Rear site enclosed by tall rendered wall with timber gate off St. Margaret's Avenue.

Appraisal

This three-storey townhouse was built as part of a terrace of ten similar houses of elegant Georgian proportions. It is one of only two houses with an Ionic doorcase. It also retains its railings to the entrance and basement and rainwater goods and the fa├žade composition, which contributes to the original appearance of one of the earliest terraces on the North Circular Road.