Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1800, having three-bay ground floor and two-bay upper floors, part of terrace of ten similar houses with original two-storey return. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile slate roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Red brick chimneystacks to both party walls with clay pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over rendered basement wall. Yellow brick walls laid in English garden wall bond to rear elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Decorative wrought-iron balconettes to first floor. Rear elevation has round-headed nine-over-six pane timber sliding sash window to stairs with replacement overlight. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with replacement hardwood doorcase and fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform and two granite steps bridging basement enclosed by wrought-iron railings with cast-iron corner posts. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railing on granite plinth wall with steel gate giving access. Rear site enclosed by tall rendered wall off St. Margaret's Avenue.
This three-storey townhouse was built as part of a terrace of ten similar houses of elegant Georgian proportions. It retains an original return, original railings and steps and contributes to the appearance of what is one of the earliest terraces to be built on the North Circular Road.