Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1800,having three-bay ground floor and two-bay upper floors, and part of terrace of ten similar houses. Three-storey flat-roofed return to rear. M-profile slate roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Red brick chimneystacks to both party walls with clay pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, smooth rendered to ground floor on painted plinth course over rendered basement wall. Smooth render finish to rear elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals and granite sills. Replacement uPVC windows to second floor, replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows elsewhere. Possibly original timber sash windows to rear elevation including round-headed nine-over-six pane window opening to stairs with replacement fanlight, and eight-over-eigth pane windows elsewhere. Round-headed door opening with original timber doorcase. Original flat-panelled timber door flanked by timber pilasters and diminutive timber brackets to timber lintel and with plain fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform with three concrete steps bridging basement enclosed by wrought-iron railings. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railing on granite plinth wall. Rear site enclosed by tall rendered wall off St. Margaret’s Avenue.
This three-storey townhouse was built as part of a terrace of ten similar houses of elegant Georgian proportions. It retains an early timber doorcase and original railings and contributes to the appearance of what is one of the earliest terraces to be built on the North Circular Road.