Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1800, having three-bay ground floor and two-bay upper floors, and part of terrace of ten similar houses. Now in multiple occupancy with three-storey flat roof return to rear. Pitched slate roof on T-plan hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and lead box hopper and downpipe breaking through to east end. Chimneystacks to both party walls, rendered to west, red brick to east. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted plinth course over rendered basement wall. Smooth render finish to rear elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Round-headed stairs window to rear. Gauged brick round-arched door opening with timber doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by timber pilasters and foliate console brackets to timber lintel and plain fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform with three concrete steps bridging basement enclosed by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railing on granite plinth wall. Rear site enclosed by tall rendered wall off St. Margaret's Avenue.
This brick townhouse was built as part of a terrace of ten similar houses of elegant Georgian proportions. It retains part of a fine doorcase, and original iron railings and contributes to the appearance of what is one of the earliest terraces to be built on the North Circular Road.