Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical
In Use As
1800 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house over exposed basement, built c.1805. Now in multiple occupancy. Hipped slate M-profile roof with stepped rendered chimneystack behind parapet having squared granite coping. Walls of brown brick, rebuilt in red brick to third storey, laid in Flemish bond with granite plinth course over rendered basement area. Diminishing gauged flat-arched window openings with brick reveals and granite sills, having three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows to top floor and six-over-six pane to lower floors. Wyatt tripartite window to ground floor, with trefoil-profile colonettes to mullions. Round-headed door opening with rendered reveal having stone doorcase comprising moulded cornice on engaged Ionic columns on stone bases. Cobweb fanlight over eleven panel door with cast-iron door furniture. Door opens onto sandstone platform having cast-iron bootscraper and two granite steps to street. Platform flanked by stone plinth with wrought-iron railings returning to enclose basement area. Cast-iron corner posts with urn finials to railings, with gate giving access to basement area.
This finely proportioned Georgian townhouse is one of a pair of similarly proportioned houses. It was built in the style of the terraced houses on the adjacent Mountjoy Square, which was developed by Luke Gardiner between the 1790s and 1818. It is in a good state of repair and has retained a great deal of original fabric including fine timber sash windows, an elegant doorcase and finely executed enclosing railings. The ground floor Wyatt window with trefoil-profile colonettes is a particularly notable feature. This fine building and its neighbour (50060438) enhance the rhythm of the street and make a valuable contribution to Mountjoy Square Architectural Conservation Area, along one of the key approaches to the Square itself. James Joyce lived here in 1894-5. It was then number 14, later renumbered to 34.