Survey Data

Reg No

50011027


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Previous Name

Lanigan's Plough


Original Use

House


In Use As

Public house


Date

1740 - 1760


Coordinates

316077, 234535


Date Recorded

12/12/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited two-bay four-storey house, built c.1750, but possibly much older, with partly blank three-bay elevation to east. Now in use as public house. M-profile slate roof, hipped to east to front (north) and rear (south), with rendered chimneystack having clay pots, hidden behind rendered parapet wall with masonry coping. Ruled-and-lined rendered walls with channelled render quoins and render eaves course to front. Square-headed window openings throughout with masonry sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to top two floors of front, to one opening of second floor to east, one-over-one pane windows to top two floors of east, and twentieth-century ribbon windows to first floor of each elevation. Recent shopfront to ground floor, wrapping around to both elevations.

Appraisal

This building is one of the few on this street that survived destruction during the Easter Rising in 1916 and it may have a seventeenth or early eighteenth-century core, as evidenced from the floor plan and roof configuration. Later alterations have impacted negatively on the building, but its likely early date, given the dominance of early twentieth-century architecture on the street, and the retention of some timber sash windows, gives it architectural importance.