Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1910
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over concealed basement, built c.1790, as one of pair. Re-faced c.1900 with shopfront inserted to ground floor. M-profile artificial slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Stepped rendered chimneystacks with clay pots to both party walls. Machine-made red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with recessed panel to first and second floors rising from platband at first floor sill level and stepped brick head. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with concrete sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Replacement shopfront to ground floor with rendered walls. Three iron-framed basement lights to concrete paved front area.
This townhouse forms part of a terrace of six similar buildings, which together with No. 3, was re-faced in the late nineteenth or early twentieth century. Despite the alterations, the fenestration pattern, parapet height and roof types were retained. The present shopfront does not contribute positively to the building or the streetscape, and the reorganisation of the ground floor c.1900 has impacted negatively also but nonetheless constitutes an appropriate transition between the Georgian houses to the north and the Victorian bank building to the south, and forms a key part of a Georgian terrace that visually connects O’Connell Street and Parnell Square. The retention of timber sash windows enhances the architectural heritage quality of the building.