Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1755 - 1760
Terraced three-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built 1756-7. Now in multiple commercial use. Replacement pie-ended hipped slate roof behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping and replacement uPVC rainwater goods breaking through to south. Stepped rendered chimneystack with clay pots to south party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having replacement brick to second floor and later replacement brick to top floor. Concrete plinth course over ruled-and-lined rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with flush rendered reveals to second and third floors, patent rendered reveals to ground and first floors, replacement timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to lower floors and three-over-three pane to top floor, and painted granite sills throughout. Round-headed door opening with moulded surround and inset painted stone Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door with twelve raised-and-fielded panels flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks supporting fluted lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and two granite steps bridging basement. Platform enclosed by wrought-iron railings and single cast-iron corner post set on moulded granite plinth wall. Basement enclosed by replacement iron railings on concrete base with matching gate and steel steps giving access.
This Georgian townhouse forms part of a varied terrace of buildings at the junction of Parnell Square East and Parnell Street. The only three-bay house on this short terrace, the house is now in use as a hotel together with Nos. 7 and 8. The building has had its roof and windows replaced but retains a good doorcase and its overall composition and remains the better example on this terrace, while playing its part in maintaining the Georgian grandeur of Parnell Square. The retention of plinth, steps and railings, and of granite kerbstones to the footpath provides an appropriate and well-preserved setting to this building.