Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1755 - 1760
End-of-terrace three-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built 1756. Now in office use. Single-span slate roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping having cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to north. Stepped rendered chimneystack with terracotta and clay pots to north party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on moulded granite plinth wall over cement rendered basement wall. Ruled-and-lined cement rendered walls to south gable and rear elevations. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, patent rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to lower floors and three-over-three pane to top floor. South gable has replacement casement window to basement with wrought-iron grille, and some replacement aluminium windows. Round-headed six-over-six pane stairs window to rear, this elevation also having some replacement timber or uPVC windows. Square-headed door opening with painted stone architrave surround and pedimented painted stone Doric doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Doric columns on plinth blocks supporting full Doric entablature and pediment embellished with mutules and floral panels. Door opens onto concrete platform and six concrete steps. Platform and basement enclosed by bellied wrought-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall with painted masonry piers and decorative iron finials.
Facing the former gardens of the Lying-In Hospital, this elegant house was built by Henry Darley for Dr. Bartholomew Mosse, founder of the Hospital, which was the first maternity hospital in Ireland or Britain. Cavendish Street (now Cavendish Row and Parnell Square East) was laid out by Luke Gardiner in 1753 to the west of the fashionable New Gardens of the Lying-In Hospital, the street deriving its name from William Cavendish, third Duke of Devonshire, Lord Lieutenant (1737-45). This house contains the finest interior plasterwork on the square. Its Doric doorcase is especially finely detailed, elegantly bookending this long terrace on the east side of Parnell Square. The retention of timber sash windows contributes to the intact impression of the building, and the elaborate railings and piers with finials, and the granite kerbstones to the footpath provide a handsome setting to the building.