Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social Technical
City of Dublin Junction Railway Terminus
In Use As
1890 - 1895
Attached single-storey twenty-bay railway station, built c.1891, adjoining northwest elevation of Connolly Station trainshed, comprising ten gable-fronted paired bays, stepped to southwest of façade. Hipped slate roof to each bay, terminating in hipped-fronted glazed roofs to front, with steel girder and truss supports on cast-iron fluted columns having moulded neck and base, cast-iron bow-string arches with lattice spandrels running northeast/southwest and decorative panels, incorporating mouchettes flanking central multifoil oculi, to spandrels running east/west. Red brick chimneystacks. Flat-roofed curved verandah over platform having battened timber panels to front. Painted brick walls laid in Flemish bond with stepped eaves course and painted plinth course. Painted brick cornice at impost level forming continuous hood-moulding to window and door openings. Round-headed window openings having masonry sills, stepped reveals and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows, some glazed panels painted. Glass blocks to one opening. Round-headed door openings with plain timber doors, timber panelled doors, some having glazed panels, and plain fanlights. Hallway to south of station with brick arcaded walls and three steps leading to main trainshed of Connolly Station.
This addition to Connolly Station was built by W.H. Mills as a terminus of the City of Dublin Junction Railway in 1891, and originally included offices, booking and parcels offices, cloakroom, waiting rooms and lavatories, essentially comprising a self-contained station building. The CDJR was constructed to connect the Great Northern Railway with the Dublin Wicklow & Wexford Railway, in order to complete the Royal Mail route and speed up the movement of mail from the UK. This modest terminus is considerably more restrained in its form than the more elaborate main station, although much of the same fabric, including cast-iron fluted columns and lattice spandrels, and brick walls, is employed. Its subtle design is enlivened by cast-iron work and a stepped façade, while timber sash windows are retained throughout. Often overlooked as a component part of Connolly Station, this building makes an important contribution to the infrastructural and architectural heritage of the country.