Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1785
Terraced three-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, completed 1783. Now in multiple occupancy. Pitched slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Stepped brown brick chimneystacks with clay pots to both party walls, shared with adjoining houses. Handmade red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to square granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement level. Top floor rebuilt in machine-cut red brick. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to basement, ground and second floors, nine-over-nine pane to first floor, and three-over-three pane to top floor. Decorative cast and wrought-iron balconettes to first floor and iron grilles to basement-level windows. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with painted stone doorcase. Painted timber panelled door with ten raised-and-fielded panels, set to panelled timber reveals, flanked by engaged Doric columns and responding quarter-engaged pilasters supporting lintel, and spoked fanlight. Door opens onto granite-flagged platform with cast-iron bootscraper and three nosed granite steps, bridging basement, enclosed to either side by original wrought-iron railings on moulded, painted granite plinth wall and cast-iron corner posts. Railing encloses basement area with matching iron gate, giving access to basement via limestone steps with cast-iron rail. Three-bay rear elevation with round-headed stair-lights, now glazed with single fixed pane. Cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Two-storey red brick mews to rear with hipped natural slate roof.
This is a sound example of a late eighteenth-century Dublin townhouse, which contributes to the historic appeal of this streetscape. The original entrance pediment was removed in the nineteenth century to provide additional light to the entrance hall. The doorcase is nevertheless a fine feature of the house. The retention of timber sash windows, and of the stonework and ironmongery to the entrance and basement area enhances the architectural heritage character of this building and the whole contributes to the intact appearance of the streetscape. From 1783 the house was occupied by Sarah Archdall, widow of Nicholas Archdall and subsequent owner of Mount Eccles estate, who in 1766 succeeded in obtaining a Bill of Parliament permitting development, which gave rise North Great George's Street.