Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1790
Terraced three-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1785. Now in use as restaurant and residence. Pitched slate roof having rebuilt parapet wall with moulded granite coping. Shared stepped and rendered red brick chimneystacks. Flemish bond red brick walls over moulded granite plinth course and rendered basement. Square-headed window openings with gauged red brick voussoirs, rendered reveals and granite sills. Six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to first and second floors, with replacement timber sliding sash windows elsewhere, nine-over-six pane to ground floor, six-over-six pane to basement and three-over-three pane to top floor. Cast-iron balconettes to first floor openings. Round-headed door opening within painted stone doorcase comprising label moulded surround surmounted by rubbed red brick voussoirs, engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks, ornamented lintel, cornice and cobweb fanlight. Replacement timber panelled door with replacement sidelights opening onto granite platform with stepped approach bridging basement area. Approach flanked by moulded granite plinth walls and wrought-iron railings with cast-iron lamp standards. Railing encloses basement area with cast-iron gate giving access to basement via granite steps with recent steel handrail. Square-headed door opening to basement having rendered surround and timber panelled door.
North Great George's Street was laid out by the Archdall family, beginning in 1769, in response to the expansion of the Gardiner Estate. The house was briefly used as flats c.1925 but was returned to use as a single private residence by the mid-twentieth century. Although in commercial use, with a small residence above, No. 16 has retained its historic aspect including an appropriate fenestration arrangement and cast-iron balconettes, maintaining the rhythm of the streetscape at large. Other notable details such as a finely appointed doorcase, well executed granite window sills, and the retention of the stonework and ironmongery to the entrance and basement area, contribute further to the character of both the building and the surrounding streetscape.