Survey Data

Reg No

50010931


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

House


In Use As

Hotel


Date

1760 - 1770


Coordinates

315699, 235236


Date Recorded

20/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1765, now in use as hotel, together with Nos. 1-3 Gardiner Row and No. 2 North Frederick Street. Roof hidden behind rebuilt brick parapet wall with granite coping and single rebuilt chimneystack to party wall. Replacement hopper and downpipe on party line breaking through parapet wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with red brick repairs on moulded granite plinth course, with ashlar granite walls to basement walls. Rebuilt gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to lower two floors and replacement uPVC windows to top two floors. Three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows to basement with wrought-iron grilles. Matching pedimented painted stone doorcase comprising round-headed door opening with moulded masonry surround and original timber panelled door with six raised-and-fielded panels flanked by rusticated quoined pilasters and stepped lintel cornices, scrolled console brackets supporting open pediment housing plain fanlight. Doorway opens onto tiled platform with two cast-iron bootscrapers and tiled steps enclosed by original wrought-iron railing on painted moulded granite plinth wall terminated by wrought-iron piers supporting replacement iron lamps. Basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railing on raised painted moulded granite plinth wall with matching gate and concrete steps to basement. Both houses retain good interiors with open-well timber staircases at centre of plan, top-lit and of very generous scale with most original joinery and plasterwork intact.

Appraisal

Gardiner Row was laid out in 1768 and forms part of an impressive vista from Findlater's Church on the west to Mountjoy Square on the east. Architect and developer, John Ensor (1715-1787), is believed to have developed Gardiner Row. Ensor was involved in the development of many properties throughout the city as well as several new streets including the laying out of Merrion Square with the top-lit open-well stair featuring in most of his developments. Nos 3-4 Gardiner Row were built as a pair with matching doorcases, parapet heights, shared chimneys and external details and contribute greatly to the overall character of this intact streetscape. The retention of timber sash windows contributes to the building's architectural character and the setting is enhances by the retention of the plinth and railings and gate to the basement area.