Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1760 - 1770
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1765. Now in use as hotel, internally connected to Nos. 2-4 Gardiner Row and No. 2 North Frederick Street. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and plastic hopper and downpipe breaking through parapet. Shared rendered chimneystacks to both party walls with clay pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted moulded granite plinth course and ruled-and-lined rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with painted granite sills, patent rendered reveals and replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Replacement iron balconettes to first floor, possibly original six-over-six pane window to ground floor and three-over-three pane to basement with iron grille. Round-headed door opening with moulded masonry surround and tripartite painted stone Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases, original leaded tracery sidelights and corresponding quarter engaged Ionic pilasters all supporting embellished stepped lintel cornice with original leaded peacock fanlight and original glass. Door opens onto sandstone paved platform and three granite steps enclosed by wrought-iron railings on painted moulded granite plinth wall terminated by pair of replacement iron lamps. Railing and plinth wall returns to enclose basement area with matching iron gate and concrete steps to basement. Interior retains original dog-leg open-string timber stair, original door and window linings and plaster cornice and ceiling roses.
Gardiner Row was laid out in 1768 and forms part of an impressive vista connecting Mountjoy Square to the east to Parnell Square to the west with Findlater's Church terminating the view looking west. Architect and developer, John Ensor (1715-87), is believed to have developed Gardiner Row, while No. 2 was the property of his wife Margaret Ensor. Recently renovated, this former house retains a good Ionic doorcase with an original elaborate fanlight. The original fenestration pattern is enhanced by the retention of timber sash windows, some possibly original. Some internal detailing also remains, and the setting is enhanced by the retention of the stone plinth and the gate and railings to the basement area. The house now forms part of the Castle Hotel occupying five similar former houses and is an important component part of an impressive streetscape.