Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay five-storey house over concealed basement, built c.1820, as one of terrace of four houses, with shop window inserted to ground floor. Replacement flat roof hidden behind rebuilt red brick parapet wall with granite coping and granite string course to base. Replacement rainwater goods breaking through parapet wall to south end. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to the third and fourth floors on painted plat band below first floor sill level. Channel rusticated rendered walls to ground floor. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows throughout, nine-over-six pane to first floor, six-over-six pane to second floor and three-over-three pane to top two floors. Enlarged square-headed shop display window to ground floor with timber fascia. Round-headed door opening with tripartite painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber panelled and glazed door flanked by engaged Ionic columns, plain glazed sidelights and responding Ionic pilasters supporting stepped and fluted lintel cornice with replacement fanlight. Door opens onto mosaic tiled platform spanning entire façade. Original granite kerbing with inscribed 'S'.
Much altered over the course of the twentieth century, this townhouse retains a partially original doorcase and diminishing fenestration pattern. The retention of timber sash windows enhances the architectural character of the house. The continuous rustication to the ground floor, spanning all four houses, reduces the vertical emphasis of these tall houses and the overall composition remains quite intact and forms an important part of this relatively intact Georgian streetscape just north of Parnell Square.