Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay five-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1820, as one of terrace of four houses, with shop window inserted to ground floor. Replacement flat roof hidden behind rebuilt red brick parapet wall with granite coping and granite string course to base. Replacement rainwater goods breaking through parapet wall to north end. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to third and fourth floors on painted plat band below first floor sill level. Channel rusticated rendered walls to ground floor. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows throughout, nine-over-six pane to first floor, six-over-six pane to second floor and three-over-three pane to top two floors. Enlarged square-headed shop display window to ground floor with timber fascia over. Round-headed door opening with tripartite painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Ionic columns, plain glazed sidelights and responding Ionic pilasters supporting stepped and fluted lintel cornice with replacement fanlight. Door opens onto sloping granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper and two granite steps, enclosed by cast-iron railings on painted moulded granite plinth wall. Railing returns to enclose basement area with matching iron gate and iron corner piers.
Much altered over the twentieth century, this Georgian] townhouse retains much of its original doorcase, its railed basement area, entrance steps and platform, and diminishing fenestration pattern. The presence of timber sash windows enhances the architectural character of the building. The continuous rustication to the ground floor spans all four houses, helping reduce to the vertical emphasis of these tall houses, this house forming a significant part of this relatively intact Georgian streetscape.