Survey Data

Reg No

50010905


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Cultural Historical


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Studio


In Use As

Office


Date

1815 - 1820


Coordinates

315650, 235250


Date Recorded

21/09/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1817, by Clement Codd as one of pair with No. 7. Pitched slate roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Shared rendered and brick chimneystacks with clay pots to both party walls. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to top floor, on continuous granite sill course to first floor. Rusticated granite ashlar walls to ground floor on granite plinth course above painted rendered walls to basement. Yellow brick walls to rear elevation with four-storey brick return. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with rendered reveals, painted granite sills and timber sliding sash windows, original nine-over-nine pane to first floor with historic glass and decorative wrought-iron balconettes, original camber-headed eight-over-eight pane to basement and replacement elsewhere, nine-over-nine pane to ground floor, six-over-six pane to second floor and three-over-three pane to top floor. Three-centred arched door opening with voussoired granite arch, painted moulded surround and tripartite painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Original timber door with eleven raised-and-fielded panels flanked by engaged Ionic columns on raised plinth bases, replacement leaded tracery sidelights and responding Ionic quarter engaged pilasters all supporting stepped fluted and dentillated lintel cornice with replacement leaded fanlight. Door opens onto sandstone platform and three nosed sandstone steps. Platform and basement area enclosed by original wrought and cast-iron railings set into moulded granite plinth wall, curved to corners and supporting pair of wrought-iron lamps. Round-headed door opening below platform with original spoked timber fanlight and sidelight.

Appraisal

This paired Georgian townhouse, one bay wider than its counterpart, similarly retains a wealth of original fabric including rusticated stone to ground floor, an unusual sandstone platform and decorative ironmongery. Forming part of a terrace laid out by Luke Gardiner II for the Wide Street Commissioners, this building presents an original aspect to the street, and together with being the site of Harry Clarke's studio is of historic, cultural as well as architectural importance to the city.