Survey Data

Reg No

50010899


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Surgery/clinic


Date

1785 - 1805


Coordinates

315617, 235249


Date Recorded

21/09/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1795, as one of pair with No. 32, with gabled and bowed rear elevation. Pitched slate roof gabled to rear, hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Stepped rendered chimneystack to south with clay pots and further angled chimneystack abutting rear gable. Shared replacement rainwater goods breaking through parapet wall to south. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over rendered basement. Cement rendered walls to bowed rear elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, with rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement tripartite timber sliding sash window to ground floor, replacement timber casements to first floors, ground replacement uPVC to remainder. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first and second floors. Window openings to rear elevation have curved granite sills. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with replacement tripartite timber doorcase and early style raised-and-fielded timber panelled door. Door opens onto shared granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper and three granite steps enclosed to south by wrought-iron railing and cast-iron corner posts set on painted moulded granite plinth wall also enclosing basement area.

Appraisal

Built as one of two similar houses to the west side of Frederick Street North, this house has retained part of its original wide doorcase. The presence of a timber sash window to he ground floor serves to enhance the facade. the retention of a granite landing and steps to the basement and a stone plinth and railings to the basement area. The unusual bowed and gabled rear elevation adds further interest. The building plays its part in maintaining the Georgian character of the streetscape on the northern approach to Parnell Square.