Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1785 - 1805
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1795. Now in use as dental practice. Pitched slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping, gabled to rear. Shared stepped rendered chimneystack to north party wall and angled chimneystack abutting rear gable, all with clay pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to granite plinth course over rendered basement. Smooth cement rendered rear walls to bowed rear elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and mainly replacement uPVC windows, with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash window to ground floor. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with tripartite painted masonry doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by plain sidelights and plain pilasters to stepped fluted lintel cornice with stepped render archivolt and plain fanlight. Door opens onto shared granite platform and three granite steps, bridging basement area, with cast-iron bootscraper. Platform and basement enclosed by iron railings set in cement on painted moulded granite plinth wall with matching gate and steel steps to basement area.
Built as one of a pair, this townhouse displays an unusual doorcase with a stepped fanlight surround and stripped back door surround. Despite the alterations, the scale and vertical emphasis of the house plays its part in maintaining the Georgian character of the streetscape on the northern approach to Parnell Square. The retention of granite steps and landing to the entrance and of the stone plinth and the iron railings and gate to the basement area ensures the setting is appropriate to this Georgian terrace and contributes to the intactness of the streetscape.