Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1795 - 1815
Terraced three-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1805, as one of pair with decorative frieze below attic storey spanning elevations of both houses. Six-storey extension over basement abutting rear elevation, built c.1980. Pitched slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with replacement masonry coping and replacement rainwater goods breaking through parapet to north end. Replacement shared brick chimneystack to south party wall. Rebuilt red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on concrete plinth course above rendered basement walls. Replacement granite ashlar frieze below third floor windows, shared with adjoining building No. 29, embellished with oval panels and fluting. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, concrete sills and replacement hardwood sliding sash windows throughout, three-over-three pane to top floor, nine-over-nine pane to first floor and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with classical-style precast concrete doorcase and hardwood panelled door. Door opens onto granite platform and two granite steps, bridging basement and enclosed by iron railings on original moulded granite plinth wall.
Laid out by the Wide Street Commissioners by 1795, this pair of houses was developed by a Commissioner named Frederick Trench. Largely rebuilt in the late twentieth century, this house is one of a pair with a frieze spanning both elevations, and represents a rare example of formally planned elevations, which in this case serves to close the vista from Hardwicke Street and Saint George's Church, elevating the importance of this composition. The retention of the steps and landing to the entrance and of the plinth, gate and railings to the basement area enhances the building and contributes to the intactness of the streetscape.