Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1810. Pitched slate roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping and shared yellow brick profiled chimneystack to north party wall with clay pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with recent lime pointing on granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, brick reveals, granite sills and replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with replacement timber panelled door, timber architrave surround and plain fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and two granite steps bridging basement, all enclosed by replacement steel railing on concrete plinth walls.
Hardwicke Street was laid out by Francis Johnston and this house is one of the few surviving modest streets of Georgian townhouses intended to frame Saint George's Church to the northeast. This house was recently restored with the reinstatement of good quality fenestration and lime pointing. The stone plinth and steps and iron features to the entrance and basement area enhance the setting and the house thus makes a particular contribution to the overall architectural character of the area.