Categories of Special Interest
Saint George's Parochial Hall
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Detached two-storey six-bay brick parochial hall, built c.1880, with entrance wing to north gable. Hipped slate roof with black clay ridge tiles, cast-iron guttering on corbelled red brick eaves course and cast-iron downpipe. Machine made red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond with moulded string course below eaves, flush granite platband between floors, rusticated granite quoins and rock-faced granite plinth course with chamfered granite trim. Random rubble granite walls to north and east elevations with yellow brick quoins, eaves course and window surrounds. Gauged brick segmental-headed window openings with stepped heads, corbelled out stepped reveals, granite sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows with steel security grilles. Segmental-headed door openings with gauged brick heads, deep moulded brick surrounds and replacement timber panelled doors and over-panels. Both entrances open onto granite flagged platform running length of front east elevation enclosed by cast-iron railing on granite plinth wall.
Although quite an austere brick and stone parochial hall to the rear of Saint George's Church of Ireland Church, it represents a good example of a late nineteenth-century ecclesiastic building, which has remained in institutional use. It is significant for its social as well as architectural qualities, and remains one of the few nineteenth-century structures that once formed the setting for the architectural set-piece that is Saint George's Church.